Monday, January 07, 2013

Kommt Ein Fogel Geflogen

That's the title of a German song that my mother sang to me as a boy, although I changed the spelling of Vogel to Fogel because of the most recent Chicago radio news. (Vogel is pronounced "Fogel" in German)

This is the radio story: Dave Fogel is back doing mornings...but instead of landing on my foot (like the song), he's landed on K-hits, the direct competitor of the station that fired him (WLS-FM). Germans did invent the word "Schadenfreude". If he's honest, he must be experiencing just a tiny little bit of that right now.

For those of you that would like to sing along with the song my mother sang to me, the full lyrics go like this...

Kommt ein Vogel geflogen,
Setzt sich nieder auf mein' Fuß
Hat ein Zettel im Schnabel,
Von der Mutter (Liebsten) ein' Gruß

Lieber Vogel, flieg weiter,
Bring ein' Gruß mit, einen Kuß
Denn ich kann dich nicht begleiten,
Weil ich hier bleiben muß.

Vogel means bird. Here's the translation of the German song...

A bird comes a-flying
It settles on my foot
It has a piece of paper in its beak,
A greeting from my mother (beloved).

Dear bird, keep flying,
Bring a greeting, a kiss
For I cannot go with you,
Because I must stay here.

It loses a little something in the translation. In German, it's almost sentimental.