Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Inside a Twitter Robot Factory

I have a few friends who are Twitter experts. They keep telling me about this whole underground world of fake Twitter accounts, and how they work, and why they exist, and it just sounds all so nefarious. But when the Wall Street Journal writes about it, maybe it's time I stop dismissing my friends as conspiracy kooks...

One day earlier this month, Jim Vidmar bought 1,000 fake Twitter accounts for $58 from an online vendor in Pakistan.

He then programmed the accounts to "follow" the Twitter account of rapper Dave Murrell, who calls himself Fyrare and pays Mr. Vidmar to boost his standing on the social network. Mr. Vidmar's fake accounts also rebroadcast Mr. Murrell's tweets, amplifying his Twitter voice.

Mr. Murrell says he sometimes buys Twitter ads to raise his profile, "but you'll get more with Jim." He says many Twitter users try to make their followings look bigger than they are. "If you're not padding your numbers, you're not doing it right," he says. "It's part of the game."

I guess I'm not doing it right.