Monday, March 17, 2014

Media Spotlight--March 17


Every weekday in 2014, I'll be keeping an eye on what's happening in the media. My focus will be on some of my favorite subjects...the moguls, the pundits, the broadcast news biz, show business, and the publishing business. (Read "$everance" if you want a crystallization of my positions on those subjects.) And, of course, I'll also keep tabs on Chicago's media.


Chicago Media

~Chet Coppock to be featured
I'll be meeting with Chet tomorrow to interview him for my May Illinois Entertainer column. He said "no questions are off the table". Now we'll see if he'll give me my dime and my dance floor. In a weird coincidence, I ran into him yesterday (after not running into him in twenty years or so) at Murphy's Pub in Chicago.

~Harpo Studios Selling West Side Campus
According to the Chicago Tribune, the studio will remain open for the next two years (at least).

The Moguls

~The City of Los Angeles Sues Time Warner Cable
The city says it has been stiffed on ten million dollars in fees. Nice.

~As the Rupert Turns
On today's episode, Rupert posts wacky conspiracy tweets about the missing Malaysian airliner.

The Pundits

~Sarah Palin Plans To Launch "Rogue TV"
I'm guessing this will be based on the Glenn Beck model. This is not a television show, it's a digital video channel. Expect lots of simplistic slogans and insults about the manhood of Democrats. That's the classy way she rolls.

~Scott Brown Out at Fox News
The former Massachusetts Senator was let go by Fox News because he is running for Senator in New Hampshire. Once the cat is out of the bag, the free campaign commercials have to end.

Showbiz

~William Shatner Gets Reality Show on DIY
Variety reports that the show will focus on the Shat's attempt at renovating his house.

~NBC Closes Burbank Studio
The last show aired there was Lawrence O'Donnell's show on MSNBC, but the Burbank location was also the legendary home of Johnny Carson and Jay Leno.