Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Just One Bad Century--May 6

Jeff Sarardzija did his job last night. The rest of the team not so much. It hurts to lose to those guys...even when the games don't mean anything.

Today in Wrigley history we spotlight 1998...Kerry Wood's 20 strikeout game. I was there and provide my eye-witness account. The A/V Club goes one step further--every strikeout on one video. I recently met Kerry Wood at WGN Radio when I was over there for an interview and told him I attended his 20 strikeout game. He looked at me with a "Sure you did" expression on his face. He apparently hears that a lot, but remembers there weren't many fans there. Well I was one of 'em, doggone it, even if Kerry doesn't believe me.

This Week in 1908 has also been posted. How long ago was 1908? This is the week we celebrated our first official Mother's Day.

Today's historical event is the explosion of the Hindenberg. Oh, the humanity. Where were the Cubs?

Today's Cubs birthdays include a 20-game winner from the 1969 Cubs, and two teammates from the 1964 Cubs.