Monday, June 09, 2014

Just One Bad Century--June 9

I went looking around this morning for reviews of the Cubs draft, and it doesn't appear the reviews are too strong.

SB Nation gave the Cubs an F for their first pick. Baseball America's analysis of him also won't exactly excite Cub fans.

Sports Illustrated named the Cubs and Pirates as the biggest losers of the draft.

This is really the only positive review I saw: Bleacher Report gave the Cubs a B+ in the draft.

I'm one of the people who bought into this whole rebuilding process, but I wouldn't be completely honest if I didn't admit that I am beginning to have my doubts that they know what they're doing. I hope I'm wrong, but that stomach-rumbling anxiety is back again. I don't think it will go away until one of these draft picks actually shows up at the big league level and does some impressive things.

This past weekend while the Cubs were winning five in a row and celebrating the 1940s (with a return visit by 97-year-old Lennie Merullo!), This Week in 1945 was posted at JOBC. Read about the recommendation NOT to drop the A-bomb, Gwendolyn Brooks, George H.W. Bush, and a Cubs prospect taken away by the war. There's also a clip of a very politically incorrect Danny Kaye movie that came out this week.

Today in Wrigley history goes back to memorable games in 1963, 1977, 1978, and a memorable event in 2012.

Today's Historical Event is one of the biggest stories in Chicago history, the murder of Chicago Tribune reporter Jake Lingle. There's also a bonus event--the moment Joseph Nye Welch confronted Senator McCarthy and said: "Have you no decency, Sir?" Where were the Cubs?

Today's Cubs birthdays include the Cubs shortstop just before Ernie arrived, a man who batted three times in one inning, cups of coffee from the 40s, 60s, and 00s, and one of the Cub players who contributed to the playoff run of '07 and '08. That player is also featured in the A/V club today.