Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Premier League Crackdown

I've become a big fan of Barclay's Premier League (soccer), so I follow the news closely. This is the latest...the league is instructing referees to crack down on bad language...
The most forceful new directive is for referees to give red cards to players who use “offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures” towards them. According to the BBC, no player has been given a red card in at least the last five seasons for using offensive or insulting language towards a referee.

That's fine, I suppose, but in a league known for its many international players, wouldn't you say that gives an unfair disadvantage to the English-speaking players? I learned all the worst words in about a dozen languages during my soccer career. I always get a smile from Polish workers when I lay a little vocabulary on them.