Wednesday, October 23, 2013

The Best Pizza in America?

The food-and-drink website The Daily Meal ranked the top 101 pizzas in America, and Chicago placed seven on the list. But the top one was only #23 on the list (Spacca Napoli's Bufalina) and Lou Malnati's was only #37. Wha?

Look, I've had pizza in both California and New York (42 of the top 101 come from those two states) and the pizzas there do have their charm. (Although...greasy New York pizza will still be barking at you several days after you've eaten it). I also understand the bias against deep dish pizza (I only eat it occasionally myself).

But give me a break here. Chicago is the epicenter of the pizza world. Even a neighborhood pizza joint has better pizza than New York. And if you think that deep dish pizza isn't really pizza because it's not like anything they serve in Italy, than what on earth are those California pizzas doing on the list? Find me an arugula barbecue free range chicken pizza in Italy. Seriously.

You can rip our politicians. You can rip our sports teams. But when you rip our pizza...well, sir, now you've gone too far.