Wednesday, January 16, 2013

NRA Logic

The NRA put out an ad yesterday (which I won't link to) that criticizes the president for using the Secret Service to protect his own children, while rejecting the need for armed schools.

They want you to be VERY UPSET by this double standard.

Follow the NRA's logic with me, won't you? They apparently believe that the president has exactly two choices now: Armed teachers and administrators in EVERY school, or no Secret Service protecion for his own children.

Granted, Obama has received more death threats than any president in history, and polls of teachers and school officials show they overwhelming do NOT want to be armed, but if the president doesn't force teachers and school officials to carry guns (or hire only those that will), the only intellectually consistent course of action is to offer up his own children for target practice. If he won't do that, well then, I guess the NRA must be right.

Makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

I've been reading as much as I can about this subject since the last mass shooting, but I think I have to stop now. Every time I read a piece that critically examines gun facts (and, to be fair, there are some supporting facts on both sides of the sane debate, it really is possible to study this you know), I drift below to the comments section, and get completely depressed.

Holy crap.

There are people in this country who really believe the United States government is going to disarm its people (like Hitler did!), so that they can, I don't know...take over their own country with military force...so they can inflict...what? Taxes? Health insurance? Food stamps for poor people? Yikes! Better buy more guns.

You can see their point, I guess. Obama really is just like Hitler, other than the fact that he believes in racial diversity (Hitler had a slightly different take), wants to end wars (Hitler was a little different there too), and put an end to torture (again--not exactly Hitler's position). Other than that, they could be twins.

I think part of the problem with this debate is that it's impossible to debate with crazy (Cuckoo. Cuckoo. Cuckoo) and the NRA is clearly crazy. No wonder they're pushing for mental health reform instead of gun control.

They need it desperately.